Michael Jackson was resuscitated an hour after suffering from cardiac arrest
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 12:13 PM on 28th March 2010
Michael Jackson was resuscitated for ten minutes an hour after he suffered cardiac arrest, the Jacksons’ lawsuit has revealed.
An excerpt from the document, published in the News of the World, states: ‘At 13:21 hours or 1:21pm, the nurses and physicians at UCLA detected a weak femoral pulse and cardiac activity for Michael Jackson. At 13:22 hours he showed cardiac activity. At 13.33 he showed a weak ventricular rhythm (contracting of the lower heart chambers).
It continues: ‘Dr Cooper reported that when Michael Jackson was intubated with an endotrachial tube he had good breath sounds and “The initial cardiac rhythm appeared to be wide and slow in the 40s.” At 13.52 or 1.52pm he had a pulse of 53 beats per minute, with a MAE complex (major arrhythmic event).’
The 50-year-old’s father Joe Jackson believes his son’s death could have been prevented by his personal doctor Conrad Murray.
He said to the News of the World: ‘This evidence is damning. They should lock him up and throw away the key. It’s disgusting what happened here.’
The lawsuit against Murray is a catalogue of alleged decisions made by Murray which Jackson claims led to his death.
These include failing to tell paramedics he had given the singer Propofol – the anaesthetic coroners ruled led to his death.
Search warrants have also revealed large quantities of general anaesthetic and dozens of tubes of skin-whitening creams were discovered in Jackson’s home after the singer’s death.
Investigators went to his rented mansion on June 29 following a lengthy interview with Murray, who told them he had placed a medical bag in a cupboard in a closet.
At the home, detectives found 11 containers of Propofol, some of them empty, as well as a range of sedatives and various medical items including a box of blood pressure cuffs, according to the warrants.
Jackson’s death four days earlier was ruled a homicide caused by an overdose of propofol and other sedatives. Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter.
During their search, detectives found 19 tubes of hydroquinone and 18 tubes of Benoquin, both of which are commonly used in the treatment of a skin condition Jackson had called vitiligo.
The disease creates patches of de-pigmented skin, and creams can be used to lighten skin that has retained its color to give a more even appearance.
‘Some people with vitiligo get to the point where there is so much of them that is pale, it makes more sense to remove the bits that are brown,’ said Dr. David Sawcer, assistant professor of clinical dermatology at the University of Southern California.
Benoquin is derived from hydroquinone. Though the creams can be used at the same time, it is unusual to do so, Sawcer said.
The medications typically come in travel-toothpaste-sized tubes and each treatment usually lasts a few months. Side effects include acute sensitivity to the sun.
‘In the places they have no pigment, they are exactly like an albino,’ Sawcer said.
The discovery of medical creams in Jackson’s home dovetails with an odd remark Murray reportedly made soon after Jackson’s death.
Jackson’s personal assistant, Michael Amir Williams, told detectives that in the hospital where the singer was pronounced dead, Murray told him he wanted to return to Jackson’s house ‘so that he could pick up some cream that Mr. Jackson has so that the world wouldn’t find out about it.’
Alberto Alvarez, Jackson’s logistics director, who was summoned to the stricken star’s side as he was dying, told police Murray interrupted CPR on the pop star to collect drug vials.
He gave the vials and an IV line with a milky substance resembling propofol to Alvarez, according to the statement Alvarez gave police, and told him to put them in bags that were similar in description to those later found in the closet.
The skin cream was not listed as a factor in Jackson’s death nor was it detected in a toxicology report.
What killed Jackson, according to the autopsy report, was an overdose of propofol, an anesthetic normally used for surgery.
Murray told police he gave it to Jackson to help him sleep, a use anesthesiology experts have said is grossly improper.
Dr. Zeev Kain, anesthesiology department chair at the University of California, Irvine Medical Centre, said he was surprised by the amount of propofol detectives found.
Among the 11 containers police said they found were three 100ml vials, which Kain said could be used as general anesthesia for several hours.
‘A doctor should not use propofol at home to start with,’ Kain said.
The warrants also show Murray shipped propofol and other medications to his girlfriend Nicole Alvarez’s house in Santa Monica. It’s unusual to send propofol to a private residence but not illegal.